The need has been assessed, and the decision has been made to seek the talents of a private security and investigative services firm. But once that decision has been made, what are the next steps that will ensure the investigative skills match the need?
A good place to start is to find out if the private security and investigative firm is licensed by the province (Ontario) to conduct such services. The Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services is the regulatory body for related assistance, including security guards, private investigators and agencies, and registering employers that directly employ in-house security staff.
“We aim to ensure security guards and private investigators in Ontario carry out their work professionally, effectively, safely and lawfully,” says the ministry.
In Ontario, as of December 31, 2018, there were 77,662 licensed security guards, 2,211 licensed private investigators, 2,150 dual licensees, 739 licensed business entities and 471 registered employers. To find out if a service holds a valid license, visit the license registry. A code of conduct is clearly laid out for all operators with a valid license, and includes:
- acting with honesty and integrity
- respecting and using all property and equipment in accordance with the conditions of his or her license
- complying with all federal, provincial and municipal laws
- treating all persons equally, without discrimination based on a person’s race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability
- refraining from using profane, abusive or insulting language or actions or actions that are otherwise uncivil to any member of the public
- refraining from exercising unnecessary force
- refraining from behaviour that is either prohibited or not authorized by law
- respect the privacy of others by treating all information received while working as a private investigator or security guard as confidential, except where disclosure is required as part of such work or by law
- co-operating with police where it is required by law.
Look for Standards of Excellence and Commitment to Service
Investigative Solutions Network (ISN), North America’s premier private security and investigative services firm, has a team of dedicated licensed investigators, with the highest standards of excellence and professionalism. We offer quality, confidential private investigation services, providing our clients with ongoing support throughout the entire process. Whether it’s a corporate, criminal, civil, insurance or personal matter, ISN’s investigators are subject matter experts who consistently exceed our client’s expectations.
Click here for more information on how ISN can meet your investigative requirements.